One of the topics to be addressed in small groups will be Immigration Reform, which we have identified as a focus issue for education and advocacy.
The CBC Board of Outreach has lined up 2 people to present information on immigration issues -- Antony Dugdale, who works with the Hotel and Restaurant Workers Union in Philadelphia, and Peter Pedemonti, who is co-director of the Philadelphia New Sanctuary Movement.
- Take a look at this article for info about the Philadelphia New Sanctuary Movement - http://www.phillyimc.org/en/
- And here is the main website for the New Sanctuary Movement -- http://www.
The advocacy training general session will be lead by Rev. Lisa Harris from ABC-USA National Ministries. She will address a number of issues including:
- How can we most effectively engage in the advocacy work that our faith calls us to?
- How do we know what legislation is out there? What resources are there to evaluate it?
- Where can we find out who our congressional representatives and who their staff are?
- Is there a new paradigm for citizen participation in the Obama presidency?
The training will also include small group breakout sessions when you will choose from one of several focus areas:
- Healthcare Reform – Dr. Stephen Gambescia, Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Gun Violence Prevention – Pastor Dolores McCabe, Eastern University and Millcreek Baptist Church
- Immigration Reform – Antony Dugdale, Hotel and Restaurant Workers Union, and Peter Pedimonte, New Sanctuary Movement